Saturday, February 7, 2015

My Get Up And Go



How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get-up-and-go has got up and went.
My joints are stiff and filled with pain
The pills I take give me no gain.


I rub in the ointment like fury I do
Each pain when it leaves comes back with two.
But in spite of it all I am able to grin
When I think of the places my get-up has been.


Old age is GOLDEN I have heard it said.
But sometimes I wonder as I get into bed-
My 'ears' on the dresser, my 'teeth' in a cup,
My 'eyes' on the table until I wake up.


Ere sleep comes each night I say to myself,
"Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?"
Yet I'm happy to know as I close the door,
My friends are the same as in days of yore.


Since I have retired from life's competition
Each day is filled with complete repetition.
I get up each morning and dust off my wits
Go pick up the paper and read the 'o-bits'.


If my name isn't there I know I'm not dead;
I get a good breakfast and go back to bed.
The reason I know my youth is all spent-
My get-up-and-go has got up and went!

~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment