Saturday, February 7, 2015

Just A Line


Just a line to say I'm living,
that I'm not among the dead,
though I'm getting more forgetful
and mixed up within my head.

I got used to my arthritis,
to my dentures I'm resigned.
I can manage my bifocals,
but I sure do miss my mind.

For sometimes I can't remember
when at the foot of the stairs I stand,
if I must go up for something
or have just come down from there?

And, before the fridge so often,
my poor mind is filled with doubt,
Have I just put food away,
or have I come to take some out?

And, there are times when it is dark,
with my nightcap on my head,
I don't know if I'm retiring
or just getting out of bed.

So, if it's my turn to write you,
there's no need for getting sore -
I may think that I have written
and don't want to be a bore!

So remember that I love you
and wish that you were near,
but now it's nearly mail time,
so I must say, "Good-bye, Dear."

PS: Here I stand beside the mailbox
with a face so very red -
instead of mailing you my letter,
I have opened it instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment