This is a family favorite and perfect for the cook on the go!
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus an additional 2 tablespoons, if you are roasting the chicken)
2 lemons, divided
3-4 cloves garlic, finely grated
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 chicken, skin removed and cut into 8 pieces
1. Pre-heat the oven to 450°F or a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, the zest and juice of one lemon, and black pepper. Season the chicken well with salt and toss it into the bowl. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes.
3. If roasting the chicken, place a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Sear the chicken, meat side-down, until golden brown, about 5 minutes, then turn it over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
4. If grilling, grill the chicken until marked and cooked through, 8-10 minutes per side.
5. Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon over the cooked chicken.